Considering that the circular economy was recognised as one of the most important tools for a green transition, the Program for the Development of a Circular Economy in the Republic of Serbia between 2022-2024 will represent one of its most significant strategy papers.
The green transition is an economic, energy and investment transition based on a sustainable utilisation of resources and energy, reduction of adverse environmental impacts, application of innovation and digital tools, knowledge, added value and higher economic competitiveness.
An action plan was proposed within the Program, with the following goal: “Creating and incentive environment for the development of a circular economy with a view to support the green transition in the Republic of Serbia.” In addition to this goal, the action plan includes 5 objectives:
- Support to the industry sector in its transformation to a circular model of doing business.
- Support to local self-governments in creating circular communities (local self-government capacity building is a necessary step in implementing any type of reform at national level, and it is particularly relevant for the circular economy since citizens actively participate in it together with the industry as consumers and service beneficiaries.
- Enhancing the waste management system through more efficient utilisation of waste in the circular economy.
- Support to implementation of green public procurements and voluntary instruments in the field of environmental protection.
- Raising awareness of the interested public and educational institutions about the concept of the circular economy.